Thursday 12 January 2017

Travel Outbound Bag: New Pattern from Chase - Quarter inch Mark

I always hope that during the holidays I'll get some time to make some projects that always get squeezed out of my usual schedule.  I enjoy making smaller projects so when Chase asked if I'd like to make her new pattern before it released, I jumped at the chance.  Her latest design is the Travel Outbound Bag.  You can read more about it here and find the link to her PDF pattern and as well as some kits she's put together.  Chase designed it as travel bag not just when journeying across county but also from moving from room to room, a caddy for storing your sewing, books, phone, glasses- whatever your essentials are!

It has two zipper pockets, four outer pockets to slip smaller items into, plus a generous open centre section large enough for books, tablet etc.


I followed her pattern exactly all the way through.  She suggests heavy fusible interfacing.  I only had Shape Flex which is light to medium weight but I used a moderately heavy denim and a linen to compensate on the areas that need heaviness.


Chase's patterns are always very thorough and her writing style is personal and encouraging; it feels like she is talking me through each stage!  She includes tips for any tricky areas and there are lots of photos to support the making process.  Her zip installation process is excellent for those of you who find these a little tricky.


It took me a while.  I'm not an especially fast sewer and I like to take my time and get top stitching and binding just right.


This bag is for a secret swap partner at Threadhouse retreat so I hope it's well received.  I think I need one next to organise books next to the couch!  It's a great caddy and different fabric choices could easily personalise a Travel Outbound Bag for a book obsessive, crossword addict, embroiderer ...  etc. Find all the pattern details here.

8 comments:

  1. This looks fab! I would be well chuffed to get this in a swap! I'll just have to make one for myself now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Catriona this will be for one very lucky recipient. I hope my green eyes don't show at the retreat!! Definitely on my make list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I bought the pattern this morning, looking forward to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sewing. You've made this with meticulous attention to the details. Off to buy Chase's pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely bag - I'm only hesitating because the pattern seems expensive. Is it worth €9 in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. You've made (and photgraphed) it so beautifully that I'm inspired! I've bought the pattern and hope to make several as gifts - and at least one for myself. A great design by Chase, wonderfully showcased by you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this could double as a purse organizer. I might have to turn my sewing machine on now that we are past Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fantastic and the recipient is bound to be bowled over!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.